Please Let Me Wonder

04 April 2006

Me and The Mayor of Graz...


....we're pretty tight. We just hammered out an economic deal where all the beer I buy in Graz is half price. We're shaking hands to seal the agreement.

There was a reception this afternoon at the Rathaus (city hall) for the exchange students. They took us into this fancy room that reminded me of the Senate Chambers in the Iowa Capitol building. The Bürgermeister (mayor) came in and welcomed us to Graz and wished us a pleasant stay. Five minutes before this, Doris, who is in charge of the exchange programs here asked me if I would stand up and thank the mayor for visiting us. So I didn't listen too closely to what he said, I was too busy trying to think of what I was going to say in front of all those people. Fortunately, I didn't hyperventilate and was able to say a few sentences about how we appreciated him taking the time to see us.

After that, they let us out onto the balcony of the Rathaus which overlooks Hauptplatz. It was a beautiful day:

Then we had some appetizers and wine, and people got to chat with the mayor and take photos. I was worried about being underdressed with just a polo shirt and jeans, but another exchange student, wearing a t-shirt, baseball cap and jeans, had his photo with the mayor. The mayor even took off the guy's hat and wore it himself for a picture.

UPDATE: Another picture of me with the Bürgermeister (corrected spelling) is available on the City of Graz website. Also, the Technical University of Graz has more photos from the event on their News Page.

9 Comments:

  • I think the polo shirt worked just fine (although I might have untucked it a bit from those jeans...) I can't believe they really call them burgemeister... meister burger???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04 April, 2006 13:32  

  • Does he forbid toys in his city, too?

    I really hope you were wearing brown shoes with that brown belt. You haven't learned anything from Kelly and me, have you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04 April, 2006 16:31  

  • I'm 4,740 miles away, M, and you can still make fun of my appearance. To me, that's what really sums up the magic of the Internet.

    As far as I know, toys are not verboten here. If I see any piles of burning toys in the street I'll take some photos and post them, while trying not to get my brown belt in the photo.

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 05 April, 2006 05:16  

  • Wow! I can't believe you knew that you're 4,740 miles away from me! Especially since I never told you that I'm in Masvingo, Zimbabwe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05 April, 2006 14:27  

  • What!? How the heck did you figure out that Masvingo, Zimbabwe is the same distance away?

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 06 April, 2006 07:08  

  • Hey Scotty - wanna post the biodiesel website on your "links?" Maybe we could get more google hits directly to the website that way...hooray for biodiesel!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 06 April, 2006 13:56  

  • Send me the links, Kerri and I will post them.

    Check out the Update for more photos of my visit with the Bürgermeister!

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 07 April, 2006 05:00  

  • You look like you're uncomfortably arching your back in that photo on the Graz website. Does that Austrian have Roman hands and Russian fingers?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 April, 2006 07:28  

  • Funny you should mention it, Chitty, but later that afternoon I found my wallet was gone... hmmmm.

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 11 April, 2006 03:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home