Please Let Me Wonder

16 February 2006

Pictures from 2006 Ghent IP: Photos de Michael

In the absence of a well-written and entertaining narrative, I am going to post a whole mess of photos. Mike from ISU took a bunch, and I think he did a great job capturing the human side of the program in Ghent. Or at least, the hanging out and socializing part of it:

The first night Mike arrived, he told me he had a cousin who looked like me. That photo was taken for comparison.

Sweet sweet beer. Kerry conducts a deep conversation in the background.

Matthieu (from France) taking a picture of the picture-taker. Like two mirrors facing each other....

Me, Sara, and Caroline. For some reason I felt the need to stick my head into a lot Mike's photos.



I don't know anything about those last two photos, since I wasn't there. Judging by the tray full of beers, a good time was had by all.

I believe the name of that bar above was Limonada. It was decorated in this retro looking furniture. Lots of cube shaped chairs/footstool things.

Alex (from Germany) and I are having a serious conversation while Sara (from USA) closes her eyes to keep the room from spinning. I'm not sure how Mike's camera was able to make the lights look that way, but I think it is pretty cool.

I had a drink with absinthe in it, since you can't get it in the United States. In the photo above, you can see it on the table in front of me. It was green, and didn't taste very good. After hearing from people in Austria that absinthe contains high amounts of methanol and can make you blind, I don't have much desire to try it again.

Above: Another night. Denis from Austria dancing with a couple of Polish girls, Aga and Ewelina.

Caroline, Brian, and Mike in a group photo.

Brian, Sarah, Sara, and Kerry, all from the USA. Either Brian is in mid-blink or this photo was taken quite late in the evening.

Funky photo. How does his camera do this? I love it.

Fabien (France), Denis (Austria), Ana (France but actually Spain), and Brian (USA).

Finally, we have Kirsten from The Netherlands and Mike, Master Photographer.

Hope you enjoyed the photos. Soon I hope to post some scenic shots of Ghent, courtesy of Barbara!

2 Comments:

  • no further comments on the effects of absinthe??

    It's bleeping cold here, you're lucky to be elsewhere. BRR!

    So, are you guys placing any fun bets, etc. on the Olympics? Seems to be an obvious activity for people from a handful of different countries... You could make a shirt out of an American flag and grow a mullet. Do they have large pickup trucks in Austria?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20 February, 2006 13:56  

  • sorry jamie, but nothing really happened with the absinthe. i've heard since then that it takes 3 drinks or more before you feel any effects from it. i have also heard that it contains methanol, which makes you blind. soooo, i'm not really eager to try it alot.

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 21 February, 2006 05:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home