Please Let Me Wonder

21 February 2006

Home Sick

I'm home sick. Not the kind where I miss my place in America, although I do feel that way many times. Today I have been home all day in my tiny apartment. Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore throat after a night of restless sleep. It was the kind of sleep where I wake up repeatedly and have these weird, obsessive dreams. Like I keep dreaming about the same thing and it doesn't stop. Obviously, this is much different from the normal obsessive thoughts I have. I can always tell when I am going to be sick after a night of sleep like that.

But yesterday I went to my German class anyway, which runs from 9am to 12:05pm. I was tired and achy and having trouble swallowing, the usual stuff. When some of my classmates wanted to go to a local bar for lunch, I declined. This bar has cheap pizzas, only 3 Euros for a meal, but it also has tons of students in there smoking. That situation is unpleasant enough when you are feeling healthy, but I absolutely didn't want to experience that while being sick. So, I went to the Karl-Franzen's University cafeteria, which has a non-smoking section. It also has this weird artificial apple tree in the middle of the dining area with fake outdoor-looking tables and benches around it. I think the intent is to make you feel like you're dining outside.

I went to bed around 9pm last night in hopes of breaking the sickness spell with a night of serious sleeping. I put my earplugs in so my socializing roommates wouldn't keep me awake, turned on my fan for added noise blocking, and put on extra layers of clothes to ward off the chills I was getting. The sleep was as fitful and restless as the night before, maybe worse. I woke up having to pee and thinking I had slept the whole night, and that it was close to morning. It turned out it was only midnight, so went back to bed to give it another go.

After sleeping and waking for another 6 hours, I decided that going to class was out of the question. I turned off my alarm and stayed in bed until about 9:30. My day has been spent napping, surfing the Internet, listening to music, and playing video games. I'm getting tired of being in here, but every time I stand up I just want to sit down again. Right now I have a load of laundry in the washers downstairs (finally figured out the system), and just starting that was exhausting.

Why am I writing all this? Why am I writing in minute detail of these uneventful days? I think I'm feeling sorry for myself for being sick and want some sympathy. That and I'm bored out of my skull. I think I have surfed the entire Internet. There are no more pages left for me to look at. I've listened to all my music (not much there), played all my videogames (again, lacking), and don't feel motivated to do some serious (aka, school) work.

So there you have it.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home