Please Let Me Wonder

10 March 2006

Wheelchair Ramp

I was over at the hospital today getting vaccinated for Lyme disease. At least I think it was Lyme disease. That term wasn't used, but apparently there is some tick-borne parasite that is common around Austria. The university recommended that all students get the vaccination, which cost me 15.30 Euros because I am not on the government health insurance plan.

So I was walking through a tunnel underneath some road nearby when I saw this: Those two pieces of channel aluminum on the left are to make the stairs wheelchair friendly. I can't imagine being in a wheelchair and trying to go down these steps without some serious hand grip strength. What the picture doesn't show is that when you reach the bottom of the steps you have 3 meters to make an immediate right before running into a cement wall. Guess you gotta watch your speed if you're wheeling down these ramps.

Sorry I haven't posted much this week. I've been working pretty hard on my research. It feels good! Thanks to all of you who wrote me sternly worded e-mails telling me to get to work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home