Please Let Me Wonder

07 May 2006

Cost to Poo at Home

Thomas Crapper recently posted a comment about how he wondered what it cost for him to “do his business” at work versus at home. Since I love calculating mundane stuff like this, I decided to make a post of my response. Let’s start with some basic assumptions:

- 245 work days per year (52 weeks/yr, 5 days/wk, 3 weeks vacation/yr)
- 4 gallons per flush (you’re cheap and have an old toilet)
- $0.0064 per gallon for water & sewer (http://www.wdm-ia.com/)
- $0.0024538 per sheet of Quilted Northern Double Roll (http://www.walgreens.com/)
- 6 sheets used per flush (you’re a liberal wiper)
- 1 bowel movement per day (you’re an incredibly regular guy)
- 1 flush per bowel movement

Over one year, it will cost you $3.6072 in toilet paper and $6.2720 in water to do your business at home.
Total savings: $9.88 per year

This ignores other costs, such as electricity to run the lights in your bathroom, any additional cleaning costs, wear and tear, etc. The most obvious cost this analysis ignores is the opportunity cost of using the bathroom at home versus using it at work. I could calculate the value of your time at work for you, but it is up to you to calculate the value of your time at home. Good luck with your decision.

4 Comments:

  • Thank you so much. You truly are a guru of poo! It just reinforces my belief that I am saving myself money and also sticking it to the man by using the facilities at work more than at home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 May, 2006 07:35  

  • the opportunity cost of pooping in the public restroom at work is too high for me - no matter how much money I would save. Plus, I'm pooping on the taxpayer dollar, so does it really save me anything anyway?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 May, 2006 11:29  

  • The true savings is in the opportunity cost. Water and toilet paper are nothing. Divide $9.88 by 245 and your cost per crap is about 4 cents. And to think that pay toilets over here charge 30 cents Euro. It's highway robbery!

    By Blogger ScottyB, at 08 May, 2006 16:37  

  • What about the cost for cleaning the toilet? I know that is one of my least favorite chores and in a public toilet that is handled by someone else. Viva la paper toilet seat covers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10 May, 2006 13:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home