Please Let Me Wonder

18 May 2006

Mexican Party

I just finished cleaning up from a party at my place tonight. We ate tacos and did shots of tequila. I didn't have enough places to sit, barely enough places to stand, not enough plates to eat off of, and not enough pots to cook with. But still it was probably the most fun I've had while in Graz. I love how with the right attitude and the right people, you can have a good time. Now it's time for some photos!The general assembly. Note the table filled with food and more people than chairs. I told them I would provide the meat and taco shells if they brought toppings and anything else they deemed appropriate. They brought veggies, taco shells, salsa, wine, chips, dip, but above all, tequila! Note the laptop in the to center of the photo. Jilly, your 80's and Disco music played an essential role in the evening! Oh yeah, from left to right: Davide (back), Maria (chest) , Virpi (eating), Guilia (back-of-head), Carla (side-of-head), Motomi (shoulder), and Scott (thumb).Geez, this photo is so posed! From left to right: Guilia (laughing), Scott (bearded), Motomi (glassed), Carla (apron-ed), ScottyB (orange-ed). Carla brought two cans of Mexican chili, a bottle of Chianti, and her apron which you see her wearing. She made the chili without spilling any on herself but managed to spill some wine on her jeans. Scott brought the bottle of tequila which I wish I had photographed. It came directly from Mexico and had a cute little plastic sombrero for a hat. Perfect for the evening....From L to R: Daniela (striped), Maria (middle), and Virpi (Blond-ed).From this vantage point, through Daniela's fingers, you can spy the elusive Davide. He was forced to leave the party early for "business reasons". His contribution to the Mexican party was Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Mayonnaise, and something Italian called "Besciamella". I didn't get a chance to try it, but Maria said it was made up of fat. I'm sorry I missed it....Scott (not me, silly) just finished his third shot of tequila and it didn't sit as well as the first two. He looked much worse in person, trust me. Note the red face and watery eyes. To his credit though, his body did not reject anything put into it this night.The end of the evening. By this time we had done 3 shots of tequila, one shot of rum, and various wine and beer consumed with all the "authentic" Mexican food. For all the homesickness I feel, and for all the times I feel alone and wish I was back in the USA, there are times like these. Times when I really feel connected and part of a community here in Graz. It's not just the people in the picture, because there are others too. But I am starting to call Graz my home, and it's a strange feeling since not long ago I was looking forward to leaving here.

I'll stop getting all emotional because really, it's just the tequila talking right? Good night! Gute Nacht! Schlaf Gut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home