Please Let Me Wonder

31 July 2006

Hot House

So I gave in. I installed the big window air conditioner for my living room. Now I have a fully cooled bedroom and living room.

Yesterday it was very uncomfortable sitting in the living room, aka My Office. By the end of the day the temperature was 89 degrees, and this morning it had "cooled" down to 88. I was holding off installing the big A/C unit because I knew that if it was there I would be tempted to use it, and thus start paying big electric bills. But yesterday was just terrible; no amount of ceiling fan could make the room comfortable, and it was impossible to be productive. Seeing the 1 degree temperature drop this morning sealed the deal. Ah, the minutia of my life....

Speaking of minutia, the water line coming into my house is broken underground somewhere outside. And water is leaking into my basement. And the City of Newton makes the homeowner responsible for everything up the water main. Speaking of the water main, did I mention that it is across the street?? And under concrete?? The plumbers will have to drill a new line under the street to replace this old, leaky one. Speaking of plumbers, "across the street" means "double the cost" and "not gonna start until Thursday". On the upside, the outside underground shutoff valve was too rusted to turn, so they can't shut off the leak (and thus my showers) until Thursday. Always a silver lining!

I'm gonna bask in the A/C and cool off my brain for a while....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home