Please Let Me Wonder

09 December 2006

An Inconvenient Truth

I just finished watching this movie, and it got me fired up to do something. My utility company offers a program called Second Nature, where you pay a little bit extra (2 cents per kilowatt-hour) to get all of your electricity from renewable resources. Back when I was working as an engineer I was enrolled in this program. But after getting laid off from that job, I wasn't sure I could handle the additional expense and dropped it. Looking back, I over-reacted, because I just did the math and it will cost me an additional 8 bucks a month to get all my electricity from renewable resources. A small price to pay, and worth it.

One thing from the movie that was particularly surprising to me was the confusion over the actual existence of global warming. To me global warming is a well-established fact, but to many people it considered simply a "possibility". Fortunately, good ol' Al Gore has his facts straight. In the movie he says that out of 928 articles written on global warming in the last 10 years in peer-reviewed scientific journals, zero (as in: none) of them disagreed with the scientific consensus that humans are causing global warming. What is disturbing is that out of 636 articles in the popular press published in the last 14 years on global warming, 53% of them expressed doubt over the cause of it.

So the scientists agree that we are causing global warming, but the "liberal" media wants it to sound like there is doubt and disagreement.

Please see this movie, and tell your friends to watch it too.
Excuse me, I have to go write my members of Congress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home